Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Inspirational Interviews: Veronica from My Hands Made It


I am thrilled about our first interviewee on FULL OF VERVE! When I asked Veronica from MY HANDS MADE IT to share some insight on sewing, fabric, vintage-vibes and planning her wedding, I didn’t realize just what a treat I was in for. Her answers are inspiring and shed a whole new light on designing dresses. What a talented and special person, I feel lucky! Congratulations on your up and coming wedding Veronica, I look forward to following your blog.

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I’m the Creative Director and Designer behind Coco Irene – an accessories line I produce with my friend Taryn Parker. I also design and construct custom vintage-style wedding gowns and plan to launch a line of vintage- and antique-style ready-to-wear gowns in the near future. I’m getting married next month – woo hoo! – to my sweet fiancĂ© Keith. We live in Chicago in an apartment full of fabric.

How were you first introduced to sewing?
I would cross-stitch with my mom when I was very young – around six probably. I started pinning my clothes to look more vintage a few years later, but didn’t get behind a sewing machine until my Home Economics class in jr. high. The first real wearable garment I made was the summer before my Freshman year in high school. I was fixated on ‘70s fashion then and made myself a pair of wide leg pants in a horrible sunflower fabric. I wore them with a yellow halter top my first day of high school. So hideous. Soon after that, a family member gave me all of her patterns from the ‘60s and I was completely hooked.



For people out there who are new to sewing, do you have any advice on how to get into dress making?
Buy yourself a sewing book – I prefer the vintage books from the ‘60s personally, and you can usually find them at used book stores. They are full of step-by-step sewing techniques that will teach you things like inserting zippers. My dad bought me my first sewing book for $0.25 and I still reference it all of the time – I probably know it by heart now. Start by using simple store-bought patterns and just practice like crazy. Tip: Two patterns by the same manufacturer will usually fit together, so if you like the sleeves on one dress, but like the body of another, you will likely be able to piece it together. But start with the simple stuff first, and don’t be so discouraged that you give up. Expect to make a few duds first, but keep going, because being able to make your own clothes is AWESOME. Trust me.

Where do you look for inspiration?
Old movies mostly and old photographs. I don’t think I’ve ever watched an old movie and not wanted the clothes.



Do you have a favorite wedding dress designer?

Monique Lhuillier makes such stunning gowns – I’m always in complete awe. But frankly, give me any vintage wedding dress and it shoots to the top of my favorite dress list. I can’t help it.

I know by your blog that you are having a vintage themed wedding, how did you and your sweetie decide on what decade to use?
Poor Keith didn’t even try to get involved in the style of the wedding – I can be like a tornado of ideas and it’s probably safest to just step aside and let me go. He’s super supportive though and knows he can nix anything he totally hates (like decorating the bride and groom chair backs – he was totally against that!). But anyway, to answer your question, I knew I wanted a 1930’s style gown and then built from there. The altar is very ‘30s and Keith is wearing a Morning Suit which is also very ‘30s. But the decor of the tent is very lush – not deco at all. I kept picturing an overgrown Regency style – something out of a Jane Austen novel. But then the tabletops are more ‘40s and the bridesmaids are wearing chiffon gowns that look sort of Grecian. If I get my hands on it it’s going to look vintage – I can’t help myself – but I didn’t want anything to be costumey or too theatrical. I want everyone to feel very comfortable and very much in the present, just surrounded by sweet old-fashioned things.



What is your favorite time of year?
I love the beauty of spring, but my allergies don’t agree.

Where do you find your fabric?
There is an awesome fabric warehouse in Chicago called Discount Textile Outlet. It’s like my second home. It’s just filled to the brim with discounted fabrics and trimmings – some of that stuff you know is old, because it’s been stuck under a heap of fabric for years. I also shop online a lot for Coco Irene and hit antique stores for lace and trimmings.



Do you ever go through periods where there is a lack of inspiration, or you feel ‘stuck’? How do you get out of your “stuck” feeling?
I think everyone feels that way sometimes – for me, it’s usually when someone asks for something more contemporary and out of my comfort zone. It usually helps to just walk away for a bit and watch an old movie or move on to another project. I can also spend hours looking at vintage dresses online – I always see something I want to make.



What is your favorite part of designing and making dresses?
For sure my absolute favorite part is when the woman is thrilled with her dress. Honestly in that moment it’s so exciting to see her so excited that I kind of forget I made it for her. The most satisfying part for me personally though is working through the kinks and discovering a new technique. I’m a self-taught sewer, so it’s always rewarding when I know I’ve grown. There is always something new to learn.

Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful answers with us Veronica.

No comments:

Post a Comment