Monday, May 3, 2010

Review: Carolee Schneemann and Andy Warhol: Exhibits on view at The Samuel Dorsky Museum in New Paltz, NY



I am especially nostalgic when it comes to SUNY New Paltz, the college I attended. This weekend I was happy to give a younger friend of mine a tour of campus. She is a transfer student looking to transfer into the art dept at New Paltz. So, needless to say on our list included both art buildings and the Samuel Dorsky Museum.

I have always been amazed at the big names that this small state school is able to house in the on-campus museum. On view currently is Carolee Schneemann: Within and Beyond the Premises and Andy Warhol’s: Private and Public in 151 Photograph’s. I was so excited to see Andy Warhol’s small exhibit, and really intrigued to see Carolee Schneemann’s work, I had learned about her work “Meat Joy” as an Art History student and never had the opportunity to see her work in person.

Her exhibit consists of a mix of old and new work, dating from the 1960’s to current. One piece of work struck my fear of heights along with my sorrow over September 11th. It’s a photographic montage of people leaping off of the Twin Towers after they were hit. It struck such an emotional cord in my friend and I that we were entranced by the power of the multiple images. The viewer watched through photographs the journey of the suicide. It was interesting to me mostly because of the lack of view; you created how you felt over the image. The image itself wasn’t garish or hinting at anger, instead its poignancy is loud and the images: powerful. Conveying a clear message of reaction over terror. It spoke to both my friend and I in a way that I am not sure that after nine years, anyone is ready for.

On the other hand, it was refreshing to see Andy Warhol’s exhibit; mainly it was candid Polaroid snap shots of friends, colleagues, crowds, and strangers. They were mostly taken on the streets of New York, and from the mid 80’s. It gave you a voyeuristic feel into his glamorous life of fashion shows, elegance, fashionable people, poolside lounging and rock concerts. Each Polaroid was concentrated and interesting; you really felt the happenings of that moment in time. Intriguing, alluring and quite frankly fabulous! Andy Warhol has always spoken to me in a nonchalant, charming manor, and to me it speaks volumes.

As quoted: “I told them I didn’t believe in art, that I believed in photography.” –Andy Warhol. Check out the show before it’s too late, it ends mid September, you won't be dissapointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment