Thursday, November 26, 2009

From Whence I Came

Thanksgiving dinner with my family I sat and looked around at the people who surrounded me. Across from me sat my Grandmother who is turning 98 years old in two days. She is a beautiful woman from Northern Ireland, she migrated here in 1936. I inherited her sparkling green eyes.

Grandma came to New York city in '36, an exciting time indeed! She watched the sky scrapers rise throughout our fine city and was lucky enough to be at the opening night of Radio City Music Hall. Grandma, you rock my socks off! She told me that when all the sky scrapers were rising, it was fun to pass time with girlfriends by going into the newest building and riding the elevators to the top floors over and over again. She lived through exciting times indeed!

Grandma is my Mother's Mom. My mother is a woman with 100% Irish roots. Her Mom, my Grandma an immigrant and my Grandfather was from pure Irish descent, his parents came over during the potato famine. Half of Nevine is Irish, while the other half is pure American. At my father's side I am a direct descendant from William Bradford who came over on the Mayflower.

I don't want to bore anyone with my family genealogy. But sitting around the Thanksgiving dinner table I felt proud of my roots and from whence I came. My family is one that overcomes adversity and migrated over to this country for a better life.

The friends that I have keep me ticking through the hard times, but what I have learned through this adversity is that I deserve great things. I sometimes put myself in a position that is not something required, and is precarious to my mental health. I want a job to launch my career, not just because it's a job. I want a romantic situation in my life that involves someone strong, kind, and can make me laugh.

I have worked hard until this point, and I have always been honest and trustworthy. I feel that it is about that time for blossoming and starting my life.

Love, live and let loose! I'm ready to be apart of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment