Sunday, November 29, 2009

Wishful Drinking

Carrie Fisher, you are brilliant in your one-lady show. You speak of your skrewy Hollywood roots and jest at your zainy up-bringings. Surrounded by drugs, alcohol and infidelity, you were a product of American royalty.

My mother referred to her as 'troubled' - which I don't necessarily disagree with, nor do I blame the broad for a history of mood swings and manic-depressive behavior. I too, would have felt the same way if my up-bringing was so unstable. The thing I admired so much about Carrie, is her perseverance. Life gets tough, lets face it, it can be downright miserable and Carrie had no shortage of ahem *life*.

I loved how she was covered in sparkles, and I enjoyed the music, the slideshow behind her and her delicious interaction with the audience. She spoke of addictions and she always avoids touching on self-pity, it jumps away from that with a laugh out loud reaction from the audience. Wether she is lecturing with well done visual aids on 'Hollywood Inbreeding 101' to convince her daughter if it was okay to date 'so and so'.

The iconic Princess Leia that Carrie Fisher will forever be linked to raises the roof with laugh out loud moments. Carrie presents a Leia sex doll, and a pez despenser, forever putting a stereotype on her image from nearly thirty years ago. I don't want to give too much away, the laugh out loud moments were too many to count. It sort of has you walking away from the show and wondering about your own mental illness after Carrie quizzes the audience on a popular psychology questionnaire. But mostly you walk away from the show with a feel-good feeling on how someone could take so much woe from life and turn it into a bright, hilarious story of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment